The Ideal Team Member
At VML we have developed and patented a completely new format of video called Video Markup Language (VML). VML revolutionises how video and data converge in real time on any device; enabling video to be data-driven, personalised, highly programmable, and interactive for each individual viewer.
Our team is changing the way video is being viewed and interacted with globally and now we need you to be part of our exciting next stage of growth! We're on the outlook for an experienced mid-senior backend developer to join our expanding development team. You will be responsible for writing and maintaining our APIs using Node.js, API Gateway, Lambda functions and the Serverless framework.
We're interested in talking to anyone who has a passion for backend development and loves to learn new things! As a backend developer at VML, you’ll work closely with our other developers and business teams to ensure system consistency and improve the user experience.
Ultimately, you should be able to develop and maintain functional and stable code to meet our company’s needs.
At VML we welcome all candidates; you don't have any formal qualifications or degree requirements for our engineering roles. If you have an eagerness to get involved, learn and proactively contribute to our growth it means you’ll be the right fit for the team and our culture!
- Working on rewriting our Django API using Node.js, API Gateway, Lambda functions and the Serverless framework
- Set and enforce standards for node using industry best practices and tools like eslint and webpack. This include how code is formatted, compiled, shared, re-used, loaded on each page, and repo is defined for the code
- Identify performance bottlenecks and provide viable solutions
- Identify cost savings opportunities and provide implementation solutions
- Liaise with developers, designers and CX to identify new features
- Collaborate with frontend developers to integrate user-facing elements with server side logic
- Manage cutting-edge technologies to improve legacy applications
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- 2+ years proven work experience as a backend developer
- Experience with working on Lambda functions
- Experience working with AWS Infrastructure
- In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Teamwork skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Knowledge of Heroku and AWS.
- Experience developing RESTful applications.
- Knowledge of continuous Integration.
- Passion for learning and pushing technical boundaries
- Experience with Python Django.
- Experience of streaming video technologies.
- Training & Development
- Hybrid working model
- Flexible hours and working style
- 25 days holiday plus statutory holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Generous sick pay allowances
- Stock Option Plan
- Free snacks, drinks and coffee in the office
- Company lunches